Wednesday 27 May 2015

Yum

Vegetable Rice Stuffed Tomatoes

When I was a little girl, my Mum use to make stuffed vegetables, to be honest I never liked them. Everyone use to eat them and sing praises for my mum but I always thought why mum has to burn these.


Now are the days when I understand why everyone sang those praise songs for my mum. I kissed her hands when I first tasted those stuffed vegetables. Since the day I first had those variety of stuffed vegetables made by mum and till now, I'm in love with the concept of stuffed vegetables.

I've in last 10 years, tried so many variety of stuffed vegetables like stuffed bell peppers, stuffed bitter gourd, stuffed zucchini, stuffed ivy gourd, stuffed apple gourd and many more. This time while planning to make stuffed vegetable, I thought of trying tomatoes.

Luckily, I've had few big size salad tomatoes, ripe but hard. Perfect, I thought, lets give it a go. Checked the fridge, had some leftover rice, some par-boiled veggies and boiled potatoes. Hurray, I yelled inside me and started preparing "Stuffed Tomatoes". Have had few bell peppers as well, so grabbed two of them and tomatoes have two friends now.

My family loved eating these stuffed tomatoes just like all other vegetables. I'm sure your family will love them as well. And for that you need to get into the kitchen and try making them. Don't forget to comment below and tell me your experience. Until next time.......Happy Cooking Friends, Saumya




Ingredients:

Tomatoes                   - 4 big size (preferably fresh and tight ones)
Cooked Rice              - 1 cup
Boiled Potato             - 2 small finely diced
Mix Veg                     - 1/2 cup par-boiled (Peas, corn, beans and carrots)
Tomato pulp               - 1/2 cup (extracted from 4 tomatoes)
Peanuts                       - 1/4 cup (optional)
Onion                         - 1 chopped
Garlic                         - 4 finely chopped
Ginger                        - 1 tspoon grated
Green Chilli               - 1 finely chopped
Turmeric Powder       - 1/2 tspoon
Coriander Powder      - 1 tspoon
Amchoor Powder       - 1/2 tspoon
Garam Masala            - 1/2 tspoon
Salt                             - to taste
Red Chili                    - to taste
Oil                               - 2 tblspoon


Extra:

Green Bell Pepper      - 2


Method:

Wash the tomatoes and core them. Extract all the pulp out from Tomatoes. Try not to cut/rip them. Handle the tomatoes gently. Do the same with Bell pepper as well if using.
















Keep the extracted pulp in a bowl, we will use it later in the filling.
















Heat 1 tblspoon oil in a Karahi, add onions, garlic, ginger and green chilli. Fry until golden.
















Add peanuts and fry them until start popping.
















Now add diced potatoes, fry for 1 minute.
















Add par-boiled mix veggies and mix well.
















Now add tomato pulp, we extracted from 4 tomatoes. Mix well.
















Now add the dry spice powders, Turmeric powder, salt, Garam masala, Coriander powder, Amchoor and Red chili powder, mix very well.
















Add the cooked rice and mix everything well.
































Now fill-up the emptied tomatoes and bell peppers with the rice mixture.
















Arrange them into a roasting/baking tray. Spray some oil spray/coat the 1 tblspoon of oil on the filled tomato and bell pepper.
















I added some sliced onions, to get cooked in their juices and they go very well with these stuffed vegetables.
Bake these stuffed tomatoes and bell peppers in pre-heated oven on 200c for 30-35 minutes or until you see the skin getting brown and top getting crusty.
Once baked serve them with salad, dip and breads on side.
These stuffed tomatoes are the best dish as a whole, they have rice, veggies, and nuts in them.

























I'm sending this recipe at Tinned Tomatoes for Meat Free Mondays. Have a look at another awesome vegetarian recipes on Meat Free Mondays

No comments:

Post a Comment